Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Our Lord's Heavenly Ministry

Biblical Discernment
d_jjackson@hotmail.com

The Heavenly Ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ


“The failure or refusal to recognize the distinct ministry of the apostle Paul has done irreparable harm to the Body of Christ.” Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer, founder and first president of Dallas Theological Seminary.

The earthly ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ was to Israel through the twelve, with Peter the chief spokesman. The Lord’s heavenly ministry is through Paul who is the apostle to the Gentiles. “For I speak unto you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify mine office” [Romans 11:13]. Paul’s ministry was separate and distinct from that of the twelve. He was not counted with the twelve.

In Acts 9 we have the account of Saul of Tarsus encountering the Lord from heaven on the road to Damascus. Note what the Lord said to Ananias about Saul: “But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way; for he [Saul] is a chosen vessel unto Me, to bear My name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how great things he must suffer for My name’s sake” [Acts 9:15,16]. Saul becomes “Paul” in Acts 13.

Followers of Me

Paul is the only New Testament writer to urge his hearers to be “followers of me.” The Lord Jesus Christ [not a Biblical writer] told His disciples to “follow me” many times in the gospels.

“Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me” [1 Corinthians 4:16].

“Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ” [1 Corinthians 11:1].

“Brethren, be followers together of me…...” [Philippians 3:17].


Pattern

Paul is the pattern for the church to follow in this dispensation of the grace of God.

“Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereinafter believe on Him to life everlasting” [1 Timothy 1:16].


Body of Christ

Paul is the only New Testament writer to name the church of this dispensation the “Body of Christ.”

“For ye are the Body of Christ, and members in particular” [1 Corinthians 12:27].

My Gospel

Three times Paul speaks of “my gospel,” - which is the gospel of the Grace of God.

“In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel” [Romans 2:16].

“Now to Him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began” [Romans 16:25].

“Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel” [2 Timothy 2:8].

Paul laid the foundation for the Body of Christ

1 Corinthians 3:10 – According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master builder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth on it. But let every man take heed how he buildeth on it.

The term “masterbuilder” is the Greek word architekton, from which we get the English word “architect.”

Mystery

Paul uses the term “mystery” some 17 times in his epistles. The Word “mystery” is from the Greek “musterion,” a secret.

Romans 11:25 – The mystery of the duration of Israel’s blindness.
Romans 16:25 – The preaching of Jesus Christ according to the revelation of the mystery…..
1 Corinthians 2:7 – Wisdom of God in a mystery…
1 Corinthians 15:51 - ….we shall not all sleep….The mystery of the translation of the saints.
Ephesians 1:9 – The mystery of His will…
Ephesians 3:3 – The mystery [church] revealed to Paul.
Ephesians 3:4 – The mystery of Christ.
Ephesians 3:9 – Paul wants all to see what is fellowship [i.e., dispensation] of the mystery.
Ephesians 5:32 – Christ and His church.
Ephesians 6:19 – The mystery of the gospel.
Colossians 1:26 – The mystery hidden from ages and generations, but “now” [nuni – just now and at no other time] made known. Colossians 1:27 – Mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you…
Colossians 2:2 – Acknowledgement of the mystery of God….
Colossians 4:3 – Open doors to speak the mystery of Christ….
2 Thessalonians 2:7 – The mystery of iniquity…
1 Timothy 3:9 – Deacons are to hold the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
1 Timothy 3:16 – Mystery of godilness…..

No comments:

About Me

Married to my wonderful wife [Judy] for 50+ years. Three super daughters, Susan, Ph.D., Mendy, MS, Kelley, BS RN. Serious student of the Word of God. Study the Bible from the mid-Acts dispensational position.