Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Gospel #1

Biblical Discernment

“My Gospel”
1
jacksdon@gmail.com


Paul is the only Biblical writer to designate the gospel that he preached as “my gospel.” He does this three times [Romans 2:16; 16:25; 2 Timothy 2:8] in his writings. Thus, we can safely conclude that Paul’s “my gospel” differed significantly from the gospel preached by John the Baptist, The Lord Jesus Christ [during His earthly ministry] and the twelve apostles.

Paul’s “my gospel” is foundational for salvation in this dispensation of the grace of God that the risen, exalted, Lord Jesus Christ revealed to him from heaven – “If you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me toward you.” [Ephesians 3:2]. The Lord Jesus Christ had said to Ananias about Saul of Tarsus, “…Go thy way; for he [Saul of Tarsus] is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles and kings, and the children of Israel; For I will show him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake” [Acts 9:15.16].

Paul’s “my gospel” was not received from the twelve apostles or from any other man, but from the risen, exalted Lord Jesus Christ Himself: “But I make known to you brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ” [Galatians 1:11,12].

Paul’s “my gospel” emphasizes the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ:

Acts 16:31 – “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.”
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 – “Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye received, and in which ye stand; by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; And that He was buried and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.”

Note that the gospel by which we are saved includes His death, burial AND resurrection. Leaving Him dead on the cross, as the ‘crucifix” does Is a denial of His resurrection. Note also that Paul emphasizes that we are to “believe in the LORD Jesus Christ” in order to be saved. Not the earthly “Jesus,” but the risen, exalted LORD Jesus Christ.

What about “unless ye have believed in vain?” Is this possible? Paul explains this in verses 12-19. Note verse 17 – “And if Christ be not raised, your faith is in vain, ye are yet in your sins.” No resurrection – No salvation!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, Christendom either presents our Lord Jesus Christ as a helpless infant or as a corpse hanging on the cross.



No comments:

About Me

Married to my wonderful wife [Judy] for 50+ years. Three super daughters, Susan, Ph.D., Mendy, MS, Kelley, BS RN. Serious student of the Word of God. Study the Bible from the mid-Acts dispensational position.